Monday, March 31, 2014

Differentiated Vocabulary Lesson- The Water Cycle


Last week, we started learning about cycles (The Water Cycle, The Carbon and Oxygen Cycles and The Nitrogen Cycle) in sixth grade science.  I always start with The Water Cycle because most students are familiar with it, and have learned about it in the past.  However, this can also pose a challenge because there is a wide range of knowledge regarding The Water Cycle.  Additionally, about 1/3 of our students were taking a practice PARCC Test to get our school district ready for on-line testing next year.  This put a major kink in our schedule, especially because I was assigned as one of the proctors for the test and they did not get a sub for my class.  As a result, I saw all of my students on Monday and then did not see about 2/3 of them on Tuesday or Wednesday.  I decided to start with a differentiated vocabulary lesson that students could be working on independently for the few days that they would miss out on science class.

 I gave students a quick pre-test using our CPS remotes and then assigned students to one of three word lists based on their pre-test score.

Levels 1 and 2 are more basic words related to The Water Cycle and list 3 is more challenging for students who already understand the basics of the cycle.  
This is the assignment that students received on Monday-

Water Cycle Vocabulary Assignment- Due Thursday, March 27
1.  In the glossary section of your binder write words and definitions for your assigned list of water cycle words.
* Group 3- You will need to define words using the lap-tops.
2.  Choose 2 words from your assigned list.
Chosen Word 1:  Create an acrostic poem using words and phrases that define or           explain the word
Chosen Word 2:  Create a Word Poster- This must include:  the vocabulary word, a             definition of the vocabulary word in your OWN WORDS, 1 antonym of the vocabulary             word, at least three synonyms of the word.  These things should be incorporated in a               colorful picture representing the vocabulary word and its meaning.  
**Acrostic Poems and Word Posters should be colorful and completed on white,                             unlined paper.

Students shared their word posters and acrostic poems with the class on Thursday when we returned to a normal schedule.  I was a little nervous that having them present would become redundant since I allowed students to choose the two words that they would use for their posters and acrostics, but I was pleasantly surprised that students chose a variety of words and there was very little overlap during presentations.  I was also very impressed with the quality of work that my students did (especially because I did not see them for two days during this project).  Most of them worked really hard, and their final products turned out great!



I did have the opportunity to see about 1/3 of my classes for regular science class these two days, so I had students that had the assignment completed in these classes help me create a Water Cycle Display in the hall which used the students posters and acrostic poems as the labels for our cycle.  This worked out great being that we had a Parent OAA Open House last week.

On Friday, we reviewed the water cycle by playing a game of I Have, Who Has?  The Water Cycle. This was a great wrap-up to our vocabulary assignment and a great way to end the week!

1 comment: