Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Under Ohio WORDLES

WORDLE is a site that generates word clouds based on text that you enter.  Each cloud displays the most frequent or important words more prominently.  They almost look like works of art!  I learned about WORDLE a few years ago at a Technology Conference that I attended, and always had it in the back of my mind to use with my students, but hadn't done it.  Before Christmas, I was looking for something different to try with the students that would be interesting and exciting for them, but also keep up with our rigorous content in Science.  I decided to try WORDLE creation with my students using  this book, Under Ohio:  The Story of Ohio's Rocks and Fossils.  This book is great for those of us teaching Science in Ohio.  My students read the story in small groups and created a list of all of the important words from the story.  Next, students ranked the most important words, that they believed should stand out in their WORDLE creations.  I was really impressed with how some of them turned out, especially in the limited time that we ended up having (SNOW DAYS galore!).  I am excited to try another WORDLE activity again in the near future.  I am thinking of trying it with Vocabulary next time around.
Here are a few pictures of how the Under Ohio Wordles turned out:



No comments:

Post a Comment