Monday, February 10, 2014

STUDY ISLAND

Study Island is a great Assessment Review Program that aligns with state and national standards.  It has rigorous content, a plus for teachers; and allows students to complete tests and assignments in testing mode or game mode, which students love.   Additionally, it is extremely user friendly for both students and teachers.  Students love the independence of working at their own pace from anywhere.  However, teachers are able to check students' progress at any time.  If your district doesn't use this program, it is definitely worth check it out!

I have been using Study Island in my science class for the past few years.  I typically start at the beginning of the second semester (although I am a bit behind this year because of all the crazy weather), and wrap it up a week or so before the Ohio Achievement Assessments at the end of April.  I have been using this as an independent activity for students (though I give them computer lab time each week) so that they can complete assignments somewhat at their own pace.  I do have guidelines for them and assignments due each week, to help the "slackers" stay on track.  HERE is the sheet that I use to help students track assignments throughout the duration of Study Island.  I require them to get one Blue Ribbon per week for 10 points.  This goes on for 10 weeks, so the students end up with a 100 point test grade from Study Island.  They also have the opportunity to earn up to 15 bonus points by earning 3 additional Blue Ribbons. 

As a sixth grade team, we have also been making a fun competition for the students over the past few years.  This typically means a Pizza Party for the class earning the most Blue Ribbons, with the highest percentages on tests, or with the most hours working (we have done it a few different ways).  We also give individual awards to students for the same things.  Additionally, we create a huge hallway display for students to track the progress.  Typically this has an "island" theme to it, but we like to do something different every year.  We are in the process of brainstorming ideas for this year.

I am curious how others use Study Island in their classrooms.  I would like to find new ways to implement it into my class this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment